Monday, November 27, 2006

All hail Fabio

I have to say, he won my vote, too. And I'm not even a European journalist! In all seriousness, though, Cannavaro has for some time been the best defender in the world. His spectular play for deserved champion Italy during the World Cup alone (leading a defense that conceded two goals in the entire tournament, one of which was an own goal) is reason enough to give him player of the year. Pity (or perhaps not) for Juventus that they are not able to share this win. Being relegated to Serie B seemed a soft punishment for their part in the sickening match-fixing scandal. Seems only fitting that one of their former players take his glory elsewhere.

I'm still beaming over the World Cup, by the way. Italy raising the trophy has to rank as one of the greatest moments in my life as a sports fan.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home